Siargao is one of the most attractive vacation islands in the Philippines. The island has a special atmosphere because of the fact that Siargao is the capital of surfing in the Philippines. Surfing immediately comes to mind right after the name of the island is mentioned. Here are ideal conditions not only for advanced surfers but also for beginners, those, who want to try themselves in this exciting sport when spending a vacation in the Philippines. The most famous place in Siargao island is the world-known surf spot Cloud 9.
Nevertheless, Siargao is visited not only by surf lovers but also by those who want to have a peaceful and quiet vacation in the Philippines. Pictures of amazing landscapes of Siargao are often used in articles and travel guides about the Philippines. It’s not surprising, because Siargao has countless coconut palm trees, mangrove forests, rainforests and a rich underwater world. One of the indisputable advantages of vacation on Siargao is that the island is not yet overcrowded and unspoiled by tourists.
Here you can easily find secluded beaches, lagoons and other places to relax. The main reason for it is that “package” tourism industry is not developed on Siargao, unlike on other popular islands of the Philippines, and only those tourists, who are captivated by the beauty of the tropics, visit Siargao during self-made trips. The people of Siargao, like most Filipinos, are good-natured, welcoming and helpful, at the same time they understand that their island is different from the main resorts of the country. Tourists go to Siargao for a quiet vacation, peace and solitude, and the locals, taking this into account, do not insist on offers of tours and excursions around the island, until tourists ask for it. The people of Siargao, what is also important, care about the ecology of the island – they remove garbage from the beaches and teach children to do this.
After visiting Siargao, you will remember the days spent on the island and dream about getting here again.
Over the past few years, Siargao has been included in the top vacation islands according to Conde Nast Traveler magazine. Moreover, in 2019 Conde Nast Traveler awarded Siargao the title of the best vacation island in the world! The award is based on the pristine beaches of the island with white sand, emerald mangroves, and incredible waves. Conde Nast Traveler editor Marianna Cerini wrote:
Siargao has remained unspoiled, remote, and still relatively under the radar, despite the influx of new infrastructures in recent years
What you should do in Siargao
- Take surfing lessons
- Go island hopping to Daku, Guyam and Naked Islands
- Take a trip to Magpupungko beach with natural pools
- Go fishing for marlin and tuna
- Hike to TakTak Falls in Santa Monica
- Visit the cave in Consuelo
- Take a day tour to Bucas Grande Island / to Sohoton Bay
- Enjoy a spa massage at one of the good hotels in Siargao
What will you find in this article?
- Transport Tips — learn about how to get to Siargao Island
- List of the best places — explore the natural attractions of the island
- Rental Tips — check out our list of the best Siargao Island rental deals
To download the list:
1. Click on the link below
2. Leave your email
3. Get the list on the email you left
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
🚀 Siargao – How to Get to the Island
🚐 Transport in Siargao – How to Move Around the Island
🌞 Climate and Weather on Siargao – When Is the Best Time to Go to the Island
🎲 7 Useful Tips Before Visiting Siargao Island in the Philippines
⛑ Take Care of Yourself Beforehand – Make Online Insurance for a Trip to the Philippines
🏡 Vacation Rentals on Siargao – Where to Stay on the Island?
🔭 Siargao Island on Google Maps
📸 8 Attractions and Tourist Spots of Siargao
🏊 The Beaches of Siargao
🏄 Surfing in Siargao
🍕 Food on Siargao – The Best Restaurants of the Island
⚓️ What You Need to Have for Vacation on Siargao?
⛵️ 5-Days Vacation Itinerary Around Siargao
📕 Complete Philippines Travel Guide
💬 Do You Still Have Questions? Ask in the Comments!
Siargao – How to Get to the Island
Siargao Island is located in the southeast of the Philippine Archipelago off the coast of Northern Surigao (Surigao del Norte) and is a part of the Mindanao Island Group. There are several ways to get to Siargao from other islands in the Philippines:
- By air – there are direct flights to Siargao airport from Mactan Cebu Airport (CEB) – Cebu Island, Luzon Clark International (CRK) – Luzon Island or Davao Airport (DVO) – Mindanao Island. Attention! Only low-cost airlines fly to Siargao airport – Sayak (Sayak Airport, IAO). So, when buying a ticket to Siargao airport, you should be careful about luggage – the price of basic low-cost tickets around the Philippines does not include luggage (only 7 kg hand luggage). A more expensive ticket with included luggage cost means you can have 1! 20 kg bag and 7 kg hand luggage. If you bought a ticket to Siargao without luggage, and decide to buy it later – it is better to do it on the website or in the airline’s office, because the extra charge for luggage at the airport before departure will be higher. From Siargao airport you can get to General Luna or Cloud 9 resorts in a minivan in 45 minutes, the ticket costs 300 PHP per person.
- By air with stops – from airports of other Philippine Islands (Caticlan, Kalibo, Manila, Puerto Princesa, Busuanga, Dumaguete and others). Or you can fly to Surigao, from where you can go to Siargao by ferry. To do this, rent a tricycle from Surigao Airport to the port, from where daily boats and ferries go to Dapa, Siargao. Boats and ferries from Surigao to Siargao depart from different piers, so you should discuss with the driver of the tricycle where exactly you need to get.
- By water – on ferry from Cebu Island, for this you will have to get by ferry from the port of Cebu City to Surigao, and then transfer to the ferry Surigao – Dapa (a city on Siargao island); in order to get from Dapa to the main tourist places of Siargao – General Luna or Cloud 9 you will have to spend about an hour on the way. More information about ferries from Cebu to Siargao you can find on the websites of shipping companies, for example, MEDALLION or Bookaway.
- By water – on ferry from other Philippine islands (for example, from Luzon Island, Manila) to Surigao, and then by ferry from Surigao to Siargao. It is worth mentioning that this is not the most profitable option in terms of saving time. For example, it takes 30 hours to get from Manila to Surigao by a ferry, so it’s not always rationally to spend such an amount of time traveling between the islands of the Philippines.
Of course, it’s more rational to travel to Siargao by plane – it saves your time and effort. However, if you want and if you have enough time, you can also go to Siargao by ferry, turning the trip into a real sea voyage.
Transport in Siargao – How to Move Around the Island
Siargao is a small island of about 400 km2. The roads on Siargao are quite good, concrete or gravel. There is almost no public transport on the island. At the same time, there’s almost no need for car rental on Siargao – many tourists prefer to rent a bike to move around the island (the cost of renting a bike on Siargao is about 500 PHP per day, the longer the rental, the lower the cost). Most bikes on Siargao have special hinges for surfboards. The cost of gasoline in Siargao is about 50 PHP per liter, while bike gasoline consumption is about 2 liters per 100 km, such traveling is quite economical. In addition to bikes, on the island you can rent a bicycle or use public transport – small buses (minivans), there are no classic large buses on the island. And like on all the islands in the Philippines, number 1 transport on Siargao is a tricycle.
But if you like to travel in comfort, of course on Siargao you can also rent a car.
Climate and Weather on Siargao – When Is the Best Time to Go to the Island
If you are an advanced surfer, you should pay special attention to the time of vacation on Siargao. While the surf season for beginners lasts on Siargao throughout the year, advanced surfers should know that they can enjoy surfing season on the island in August and September. The climate on Siargao is tropical, with high temperatures (average daily temperature on the island is about 30 °C), high humidity and rains throughout the year.
The driest months on Siargao are March and April, at this time of the year, there is Philippine summer on the island. In March and April, not only the waves but also the weather on all surf spots on the island are ideal for learning to surf. The season of rain and gusty wind on Siargao last from November to January – February. At this time of the year, traveling around the island may be interrupted by bad weather. So, the best months to visit Siargao are from March to October.
7 Useful Tips Before Visiting Siargao Island in the Philippines
- There are no ATMs on Siargao and the exchange rate is unprofitable, so it is better to exchange the approximate amount needed for vacation on the island for pesos in large cities BEFORE arriving in Siargao.
- If you are going to swim, snorkel or surf on Siargao on your own – carefully study the tidal schedule, the island has strong tides and, accordingly, the sea goes far in low tide.
- Be prepared for the fact that Siargao is a very peaceful and quiet resort. Mostly everyone surfs here, they get up early and go to bed early. On Siargao, it darkens, as elsewhere in the Philippines, at about 6 pm, after that everybody have dinner and go to bed. Bars and restaurants on Siargao close at 10-11 pm. There’s no nightlife on Siargao.
- Do not count on fast internet. As everywhere in the islands of the Philippines, the Internet on Siargao is often a problem. Almost all cafes have Wi-Fi, but it is weak and often does not work. The Internet on the SIM card is also often very weak and works intermittently.
- The surfing season in Siargao is from July to November, while from November to January-February the island has a rainy season and strong winds blow there, so you should pay special attention to the time of vacation on the island.
- The weather on Siargao is unstable, especially during the rainy season, which affects the flights to/from Siargao airport – in bad weather they are often delayed or canceled. This is especially worth remembering if Siargao is the last point of your Philippines itinerary before flying home – it’s better to have 1-2 days left to fly from Siargao.
- In high season book accommodation, tours, tickets, and even bikes on Siargao well in advance.
Take Care of Yourself Beforehand – Make Online Insurance for a Trip to the Philippines
We recommend to make insurance before your trip, although at first it may seem completely not obligatory. The Philippines is the best place for scuba diving, surfing, motorcycle rides and many more adventures, so it’s better to insure yourself for the time of the trip. Like many other travel sites, we personally recommend World Nomads Instant Insurance service. The various insurance options that the company offers are truly beneficial compared to the others, especially when it comes to active tourism. Check for FREE your insurance price below ⤵
Vacation Rentals on Siargao – Where to Stay on the Island?
Siargao is not yet over popular among tourists, but despite this fact, the island has everything for a comfortable stay –
- Beach all-inclusive resorts
- Cozy small hotels
- Restaurants and bars with Philippine and European dishes in menu
- Entertainment and much more
Mostly all tourists on Siargao rent accommodation in two places – near the main surf spot Cloud 9 or General Luna (the distance between them is only about 5 km). In General Luna village there is much more accommodation for rent, and most tourists prefer to stay there, using motorbikes or tricycles for trips to Cloud 9. Accommodation in General Luna is various and will satisfy every tourist – there are both budget apartments and perfect comfortable hotels and villas.
Other tourists fly to Siargao and look for accommodation upon arrival. Yes, there is a lot of accommodation for rent on the island, but in the high season it is much better to book accommodation in Siargao in advance, as almost everywhere in the Philippines, as there are not so many truly good options. If you plan a long trip to Siargao, it is better to book your accommodation in advance at least for the first time, and later find long-term accommodation for rent (at a discount).
Budget apartments for rent on the first line in General Luna or Cloud 9 cost from 1200 PHP per day. Accommodation in General Luna and Cloud 9 on the second line and further is cheaper. Good Siargao hotels offer rooms priced from 5,000 to 6,000 PHP per day. Some Siargao hotels have both budget rooms for 1,500 PHP and luxury rooms – one of such hotels is 101 Resort.
We recommend to book a hotel or apartment on Siargao Island well in advance. Check the accommodation options below ⤵
We made a list of the best accommodation on Siargao Island. In our list of Siargao accommodation we describe the best resorts, hotels, apartments and guest houses to stay during your holidays.
Best Accommodation for Rent on Siargao Island
- From 11$ per night – Calypso Surf and Dive, with a rating of 8,3 points.
Calypso Surf and Dive is a jungle-style guesthouse located in the beautiful Pacific region of northeastern Siargao. It is always quiet here because the guesthouse is located away from the noise of General Luna. This place is ideal for professional surfers or for travelers who want a calm and peaceful vacation.
- From 15$ per night – The White House, with a rating of 7,2 points.
Low-cost hostel accommodation on Siargao Island. In this General Luna hostel for only $10 per night, you can rent a bed in a dormitory room. The hostel is always clean and has a spacious area with hammocks and lounge chairs.
- From 21$ per night – Hiraya Surf Hostel, with a rating of 9,2 points.
The best budget hostel in Siargao – it offers adults-only rooms, an outdoor pool, a beautiful garden and a bar. The hostel is located a 3-minute walk from Cloud 9 surf spot (in a very beautiful place). The hosts are very hospitable and help organize for their guests everything for a bright vacation – excursions around the island, car rental and surfing lessons.
- From 34$ per night – Grotto Gardens, with a rating of 8,8 points.
If you want to enjoy the leisurely life of the people of Siargao, stay at the Grotto Gardens. This is a beautiful and quiet hotel with unbelievable landscapes near the mangroves and stunning views from the bungalows. The owners of the hotel are very hospitable, they prepare delicious dishes for the guests, help with Siargao activities such as a tour to the firefly habitat place, and even invite the guests to family holidays, such as birthday parties. This hotel is close to the main attractions of Siargao – Pacifico Beach, Magpupungko Rocks and Sugba Lagoon.
- From 60$ per night – Lampara Siargao Boutique Hostel, with a rating of 9,5 points.
Lampara Siargao Boutique Hostel is located on the oceanfront. The lounge of the hostel always has a calm atmosphere, the guests can relax and enjoy the cool island breezes and ocean views here.
- From 67$ per night – Surfing Carabao Beach Houses, with a rating of 9,2 points.
An ideal hotel in Siargao for those looking for a romantic, secluded and quiet place. Surfing Carabao offers spacious bungalows with ocean views and a shared kitchen. The hotel has a nice beach where guests can relax while watching the sunset – just a few steps from their bungalows. The hotel is just a 10-minute drive from General Luna.
- From 73$ per night – The Village Siargao, with a rating of 9,4 points.
This Siargao hotel is ideal for all kinds of tourists, such as couples, families and solo travelers looking for an affordable, yet comfortable stay. The hotel is located on the quiet side of General Luna. Veranda is a favorite guest place to spend time drinking morning coffee. The hosts are very friendly and quickly respond to the needs and requests of all guests, such as organizing an island hopping tour or trips on tricycles around Siargao and much more.
- From 75$ per night – Romantic Beach Villas, with a rating of 8,2 points.
The hotel is next to one of the best beaches of Siargao. Romantic Beach Villas hotel has a swimming pool and terrace viewing the Pacific Ocean. In addition, each hotel villa has its own small terrace to relax. From Romantic Beach Villas you can easily get to Siargao world-famous diving, fishing and surfing spots.
- From 120$ per night – Reef Beach Resort, with a rating of 8,0 points.
This comfortable Siargao hotel is located next to the famous Cloud 9 surf spot. It features a swimming pool and a restaurant. Among other facilities, the hotel has its own part of the beach and a gym.
- From 130$ per night – Kalipay Resort, with a rating of 9,3 points.
The hotel is located in General Luna, in such a beautiful place that you will want to stay here longer. Kalipay Resort features modern amenities and a unique atmosphere. The proximity to the best restaurants of General Luna is another indisputable advantage of the hotel.
- From 135$ per night – Siargao Bleu Resort And Spa.
This is the most popular, truly the best and the only SPA resort on Siargao. Located in General Luna, Siargao Bleu Resort and Spa offers the guests to feel themselves in a tropical paradise. The feature of the resort are the floating cottages, where the guests can stay. In Bleu Resort, in addition to various day trips around Siargao, the guests can enjoy unique Fishing Camp Packages or Surf Camp Packages. And of course, the main advantage of the resort is Bleu Spa, where the guests can complete their vacation with relaxation of body and soul. Bleu Restaurant is the biggest seafood restaurant on Siargao and here the guests can enjoy delicious cuisine. Staying at Siargao Bleu Resort and Spa is a delight!
- From 169$ per night – Isla Cabana Resort, with a rating of 8,7 points.
A hotel for those who prefer a comfortable stay. Isla Cabana Resort has its own beach area, pool and a terrace overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The hotel offers a spa and leisure activities – snorkeling, island hopping tours and excursions around Siargao, as well as a restaurant serving delicious seafood and much more.
Siargao Island on the Map of the Philippines – Attractions, Beaches, Best Hotels on Google Maps
To help you plan a vacation on the island, we put all the important places of Siargao on the map of the Philippines. Using our map of Siargao you can have an idea of the island and vacation on it. Our map will tell you where it is better to rent accommodation, the restaurants to enjoy local food and what attractions to visit.
8 Attractions and Tourist Spots of Siargao – What to Visit and What to See on the Island
First of all, we recommend to rent a motorbike and go on a self-made trip around Siargao. The nature of the island is fascinating, and with a motorbike you can get to spontaneous and secluded places, where you can fully enjoy Siargao. Drive through villages, rainforests and palm groves, beaches and the mountains of Siargao along the way.
The main attractions of Siargao are:
#1 Sugba Lagoon
Sugba Lagoon – an incredibly beautiful lagoon, the most attractive place and the main tourist spot of Siargao. Numerous small islands with dense vegetation are located in the lagoon in crystal clear turquoise water, which creates unbelievable landscapes. A day trip to Sugba Lagoon on average costs around 1500-2000 PHP and includes a trip to the lagoon and back, lunch and a visit to the nearby island. We recommend to swim in the lagoon on a SUP board or in a kayak.
#2 Magpupungko Beach
Magpupungko Beach – which is located near Pilar town. A special feature of the beach is its natural pools – Magpupungko rock pools – deepenings in coral stones that hold water during low tide, thereby forming a place for swimming and snorkeling. Magpupungko Beach is located about 60 km from General Luna and you can get here either on your own on a motorbike or on a rented tricycle. Magpupungko Beach is one of the most popular tourist spots of Siargao. Entrance fee to the beach is 50 PHP per person.
#3 Island Hopping Tour – Guam, Naked and Daku Islands
Island hopping tour – Guam, Naked and Daku Islands. Actually, island hopping is the most popular activity on Siargao (of course, after surfing). There is a beautiful lagoon on Daku Island, because of which it is worth making a trip from Siargao. Pansukian Island, or Naked Island, is called so because actually, it is a strip of white sand in the middle of the sea, which looks quite unusual. If you do not want to join a group island hopping tour to enjoy the attractions of Siargao, you can rent an individual boat and agree with the driver on a unique trip itinerary around the tourist spots of Siargao. The cost of boat rental in Siargao starts from 1500 PHP. Island hopping is a great way to make a day trip from Siargao to enjoy the nature.
#4 Surf Spots of the Island
Numerous surf spots of the island, including the most famous of them – Cloud 9. Surfing in Siargao is interesting for both experienced surfers and beginners, the conditions on the island are suitable for everyone.
#5 Cloud 9 Pier
Cloud 9 Pier is a great place to walk closer to the Philippines’ most famous surf spot. A wooden pier stretches from land to sea; it was originally built for surfers to make their access to Cloud 9 spot easier. Nowadays the pier is convenient not only for surfers but also for those who just want to walk and enjoy the landscapes of Siargao from the sea.
#6 Diving/freediving sites
Diving/freediving sites may not surprise you too much if you go to Siargao after such islands like Malapascua, Cebu, Coron, and Busuanga, but diving in Siargao can still be an interesting activity. The most popular dive sites of the island are Blue Cathedral, Guyam Island, Dako Island, Seeco Reef, Antokon, Shark Point, etc. The estimated cost of 2 dives on Siargao is 1800 PHP.
#7 White Beach
White Beach in General Luna is a good beach to relax. The undoubted advantage of the beach is its location.
#8 Maasin River
Maasin River – having made such an activity as rafting on this Siargao river you can fully enjoy the fascinating nature of the Philippines. The dense greenery and palm groves along the banks of the Maasin River are impressive, and this is the tourist spot on Siargao that is really worth a visit. Entrance fee to the river is only 20 PHP.
There are small islands around Siargao, some of them are inhabited, some – are not. A popular activity on Siargao is kayak rental when tourists go to Daku and Guyam islands on their own. The distance from Siargao to the islands is 5.5 km one way. There is a small settlement on Daku island, while Guyam is completely uninhabited and can be crossed in just a few minutes. On the islands nearby Siargao you can relax on the beautiful beaches and enjoy exciting snorkeling.
Tourist offices on Siargao offer various tours, excursions and activities:
- Visiting waterfalls
- Sohoton Lake
- Magpupungko pools
- Fishing and etc.
At the same time, all the attractions of the island you can visit on your own on a rented motorbike or using the services of a driver with a tricycle. A small entrance fee is charged for visiting most of the island’s natural attractions. If you visit Siargao after such rich in attractions islands as Palawan, Cebu, Luzon, Coron and Busuanga – we think that Siargao attractions tours will not impress you much and there is no special need to buy them. Visiting the attractions of the island on your own will be quite enough.
You can rent a boat on Siargao not only for island hopping but also to go fishing for tuna and marlin.
One of the most popular activities in the Philippines is snorkeling. You can enjoy snorkeling on Siargao, as there are colorful coral reefs off the coast of the island. You can rent a mask and fins for snorkeling on the beaches in General Luna or Cloud 9.
The Beaches of Siargao
Given the specificity of Siargao, there are not so many ideal beaches for relaxing, such as for example on Palawan, Cebu or Boracay Islands. However, on Siargao you can relax in the shade of palm trees on fine white sand beach too.
On most beaches of Siargao you can swim and snorkel only at high tide, because at low tide the sea goes far, leaving the reef bottom of the island lay open. The coast of Siargao is white sand, tall palm trees and various green plants.
One of the good beaches on Siargao is located near Cloud 9, the most famous surf spot. During high tide, you can enjoy swimming and snorkeling on the beach. There is also a good beach for relax in General Luna. The beach is located to the left of the market.
Among the other beaches on Siargao, it is also worth mentioning the beach near Dapa and Magpupungko beach.
It is no secret that the reef bottom causes some kind of discomfort – it is inconvenient to step it without special shoes – coral shoes, and you can be seriously injured while swimming. To relax on the beaches with a sandy bottom, you need to go to the islands near Siargao – Naked Island and Daku Island.
Surfing in Siargao
The main reason for the ideal conditions for surfing in Siargao is that the eastern coast of the island faces the Pacific Ocean, a rather deep part of it. Not far from Siargao there is the Philippine Pacific Trench. Around Siargao island there are a lot of reefs, where daily tidal waves are formed due to the currents. During the season, the waves reach 4-5 m in height, they twist into pipes and break on reefs, which creates an indescribable scene.
The strongest tidal wave comes in the south-east of Siargao, here, next to General Luna resort, is located the world-famous Cloud 9 surf spot. Every year world-class surfing competitions are held at Cloud 9 spot in September – the “Siargao Cup”. The coast of Siargao has a sufficient number of surf spots for surfers of different levels, both experienced and just beginners. Even Cloud 9 has 2 spots – the first for experienced surfers at the pier (Broadwalk), the second for beginners on the beach.
Other famous surf spots are
- Jacking Horse
- Daku Island
- Rock Island
The last two can be reached by boat from the 101 Resort.
Jacking Horse is a beginner’s spot located just 10 minutes walk from Cloud 9. The waves on Jacking Horse are not high, but the danger here is not the waves at all, but the reef bottom, because of which the spot is open only during high tides.
As for the Daku Island spot, we recommend to make here a day trip from Siargao. You can get to Daku Island on a rented boat. It’s not a problem to find a boat for rent in General Luna market, the cost of a trip in both directions is usually about 4000 PHP. We also recommend arrange a picnic on Daku Island, and in addition to surfing, spend time here while swimming and snorkeling. After you arrive on Daku Island, take a seat in one of the gazebos on the beach, the locals will charge you and specify whether it is necessary to grill the products you have (we recommend taking fish, seafood and vegetables to Daku Island). The cost of grill and renting a gazebo on Daku Island is incredibly low – about 300 PHP for everything.
Pacifico is a surf spot in the north of Siargao. Pacifico spot is open in the fall, from August to November. And besides surfing conditions, Pacifico is famous for a beach with a sandy bottom, which is quite atypical for Siargao.
Rock Island – one of the most popular spots on the island. Any time of the day there’s no chance you’ll surf here alone. To get to the spot you need to rent a boat, the way to Rock Island takes about 10 minutes, and you will have to pay about 150 PHP for the boat.
Siargao is a totally surfing island, and finding an instructor, photographer or surfing equipment rentals on Siargao is not a problem – they are everywhere.
The cost of renting a board in Siargao is from 200 PHP per hour or 500 PHP per day.
There are surfing schools on the island with instructors who speak different languages. The cost of a surf lesson is about 500 PHP per hour.
Surfing Season on Siargao lasts from June to September. If you are an advanced surfer, it’s certainly worth going to the island in season, and if you are a beginner, you may have enough waves during other months throughout the year.
Food on Siargao – The Best Restaurants of the Island
On Siargao, as well as on other tourist islands of the Philippines, there are several varieties of restaurants:
- Unattractive in appearance restaurants with local cuisine, there are usually plastic tables and chairs, a simple interior, and quite a tasty food. Lunch consisting of a main course and a drink in Filipino cafes on Siargao costs on average about 300 PHP.
- Restaurants with European cuisine on Siargao look more attractive and offer dishes familiar to Europeans, the prices there are higher – lunch consisting of the main course and a drink in one of the European restaurants on Siargao costs on average about 450-500 PHP.
- Restaurants in good hotels, here the quality of food and the interior speak for themselves.
The hotels and owners of many guesthouses and apartments on Siargao offer their guests breakfast. The usually offered food for breakfast: oatmeal with fruits, toasts, scrambled eggs or omelets, pancakes with various fillings, tea, coffee, juices, etc. After such breakfasts tourists have a lot of energy for surfing and day trips around Siargao island.
If you rent an apartment with a kitchen in General Luna on Siargao – you will have the opportunity to cook by yourself. In the village there is a market, minimarket and small shops where you can buy fresh products. Many tourists prefer to buy food on Siargao exactly on the market in General Luna.
There is always fresh seafood and fish: tuna, dorado, blue marlin, squid, octopus, etc. Good fish in the market of General Luna is sold quickly, so for the wide choice of fish and seafood, you should come to the market at about 3-4 pm. The cost of fish is 150-200 PHP per 1 kg. In the market you can also pay to have your chosen fish and seafood cooked. For example, to have 1 kg of tuna grilled, you need to pay 270 PHP.
In addition to fish and seafood in General Luna market you can buy meat, chicken, vegetables, fruits, cereals and etc. The Philippines are famous for good and delicious fruits, especially mangoes, and Siargao is no exception. And of course, coconuts – you can buy them on almost every beach on Siargao. In addition to buying fruits in the market, we recommend ordering fruit smoothies and juices at restaurants on Siargao Island.
Most of the restaurants on Siargao are concentrated in the tourist center of the island – in General Luna. We made a list of the best restaurants on Siargao with Filipino and European cuisines. Our list is based on reviews from other tourists, and here it is:
The Best Restaurants of Siargao Island:
- Shaka Siargao – it specializes in smoothies, shakes and fresh fruit juices. Many people like to have breakfast here, however, there are always a lot of visitors throughout the day.
- CEV Ceviche & Kinilaw – an unusual restaurant with dishes from Filipino, Peruvian and Latin American cuisines.
- Bravo Restaurant – one of the best restaurants on Siargao, the menu of which mostly consists of Spanish cuisine.
- Kermit Siargao – also one of the best restaurants on Siargao, the menu of which mostly consists of Italian cuisine. The restaurant is in great demand, you can’t reserve a table here, and you can get into the restaurant only in a live queue. In the evenings, the waiting time is from 1 to 1.5 hours. Despite it, all the guests are satisfied with visiting the restaurant.
- Mama’s Grill – one of the simple restaurants of Siargao with excellent cuisine and low prices. The restaurant offers barbecue dishes of Asian cuisine. In the evenings there are sometimes queues at the entrance.
What You Need to Have for Vacation on Siargao?
Siargao is a small but rather popular among tourists island. Here you can buy a lot of goods, but there are things that are better to bring with you, especially if you are an economical tourist.
First-aid kit – the selection of medicines that you need to take with you on a trip should be really wide. Medicine on the islands of the Philippines, to say the least, is not developed, and it is better to have the maximum amount of medicine with you. As for medical care on Siargao – the closest to the popular resorts hospital is located in Pilar town.
High SPF sunscreens and Panthenol
High SPF sunscreens and Panthenol or another sunburn remedy – of course, you can buy such cosmetics on Siargao, but since these are the most sought after goods on the island, the prices are too high. If you want to save money, take the creams with you.
Warm hoodie – is mostly necessary not for vacation on Siargao, but for traveling between the islands. In the Philippines air-conditioned buses are always very cold and you can easily catch a cold there. It is also better to have a hoodie when traveling by ferry or plane.
Long Sleeve Shirt and Leggings for Surfing
Long sleeve shirt and leggings for surfing/snorkeling, etc. – the sun on Siargao is too active and it’s easy to get sunburned there quickly. To avoid troubles – enjoy snorkeling and surfing in clothes. It’s probably going to be hot in a wetsuit on Siargao, so it’s better to have a long sleeve shirt and leggings with you.
Coral shoes – are also necessary for a comfortable stay on Siargao. In some places, sea urchins and sharp corals make the bottom of the ocean dangerous.
Mosquito repellents – depending on the time of the year are needed on Siargao. If you travel to Siargao during the rainy season, take care of the mosquito and other insects repellent. Do not neglect this, because as you know, mosquitoes and insects are carriers of many diseases, including dengue fever.
5-Days Vacation Itinerary Around Siargao
To make the planning of your days on Siargao easier for you, we offer a 5-day vacation itinerary on the island with visiting the main attractions.
- 1 day: Sugba Lagoon tour
- 2 day: Island hopping tour – Naked, Daku and Guyam Islands
- 3 day: Sohoton Cove trip
- 4 day: Surfing lessons
- 5 day: A trip to the north of Siargao and visiting Magpupungko Rock Pools
With a well-planned travel itinerary around Siargao, your trip will be colorful and memorable. Do not miss a visit to Siargao region when exploring the Philippines!
We wish you unforgettable self-made trips to the Philippines! Nastia Khanenia and Andrei Salokhin
Post related to this:
Complete Philippines Travel Guide
A detailed description of the Philippines, our 70-page travel guide is perfect for budget travelers! Here you will find practical information about traveling and saving money in one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
You will get suggested routes, budget, ways to save money, interesting and unique features, non-touristic restaurants, markets and bars and much more!
⭐ Book a Trip to Philippines: Tips and Tricks
- Book a flight
Find a cheap flight using Skyscanner or Jetradar. These are two of our favorite search websites, because they search for airfares around the world, thus showing actual prices.
- Book your accommodation
You can book a hotel on booking.com, as it always shows the cheapest rates for hotels and guesthouses. We use this service all the time. This is our favorite website for booking accommodation when travel.
- Do not forget about travel insurance
Travel insurance will protect you from illnesses, injuries, thefts and other troubles. This is protection in case something goes wrong. We never go on a trip without insurance, as we had to use it many times in the past. We use the best service of insurance companies World Nomads for many years, which we also recommend.
- Looking for services to save money?
Check out our page for all the services or the best companies to use when you are traveling! We name all those that we use to save money when traveling – and we are sure they will help you too!
- Looking for more information about visiting the Philippines?
View our eBook – a detailed guidebook about the Philippines, where you will find more tips on what to see and things to do, the prices on the main travel issues, how to save money and much, much more!
LIKE THIS POST? PIN FOR LATER!